Share a document by using Get a link
You can share a link to a document that others can also share by using Get a link. Get a link is available only for individual files, but it’s the easiest way to share documents with everyone in your organization or to share with people externally (as long as external sharing is enabled for your sites).
Go to OneDrive for Business or the site library that has the document you want to share.
Right-click the document you want to share, and then select Get a link. If you don’t see Get a link, click Share, and then click Get a link.
Choose the type of link you want to create.
- Edit link – account required People in your organization can edit, copy, or download the document.
- View link – account required People in your organization can view, copy, or download the document.
- Edit link – no sign-in required People outside your organization can edit, copy, and download the document.
- View link – no sign-in required People outside your organization can view, copy, and download the document.
Notes: If you see only a restricted link option instead of the options shown here, sharing links may be disabled or you may not have permission to use them. For information about how to enable sharing, see Video: Share a site without access request.
If guest access is disabled, you’ll see only account required options.If you choose a no sign-in required link and you want to set the link to expire, click Set expiration, and then choose how long before the link expires, such as 30 days. Account required links don’t expire and there’s no option to set an expiration for those links.
Click Copy to copy the link to the clipboard.Paste the link into an email and send it or post it on a website for the people you want share with.
- Links created by using Get a link are not discoverable by search, so only people who receive a link from someone else can use it.
- No sign-in required links are guest links that are ideal for external sharing. These links are available by default in Office 365, but administrators can disable external sharing for your sites. For details, see Share sites or documents with people outside your organization.
- You can remove no sign-in required links at any time in the Share dialog box mentioned in the steps above. The REMOVE link is right next to the Copy button.
- Site administrators can restrict sharing so that only owners can share files and sites. For information about how to enable sharing links, see Video: Share a site without access request.
Share a document or folder by inviting people
To share folders or to share documents when Get a link isn’t available, you can invite people.
Go to OneDrive for Business or the site library that has the document or folder you want to share.
Right-click the file you want to share, and then select Share.
In the Share dialog box on the Invite people tab, type names or email addresses of people you want to share the document or folder with.
Select a permission setting, such as Can edit